Are the New York Yankees going to make the playoffs in 2018… YES!
Don’t believe me, well, how about the website FiveThirtyEight.com? As of this writing (8/16/18), they have the Bombers tied with the Boston Never Loses, I mean Red Sox, with a 99% chance of clinching a playoff berth. They actually have a 1% better chance than the Houston Astros (98%) according to the site. So, all is well, there is nothing to see here, right?
Uh…yes, of course. But, what should be kept in the back of your mind is that sentence printed on rearview and side view mirrors of automobiles that says:
OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR…
Following New York’s 11-1 beat down of the Red Sox on July 1 (a game started and won by Luis Severino), the Pinstripes were percentage points ahead of their blood rivals, in first place in American League East. Their record was 54-27, tops in Major League Baseball.
Since then however, they are a pedestrian 21-19. What about Boston you ask? They are a ridiculous 30-7 and have all but run away with the AL East. But there is always the wild card to fall back on. This is true, yet tempting fate in a one-game winner take all situation is not advantageous. As of today the Yankees are the top wild card team, 3 games ahead of the Oakland Athletics (the second wild-card team), and 5.5 games out front of the Seattle Mariners. Let’s take a quick closer look at the two American League West ball clubs who are lurking just behind.
Back on July 1, the A’s were 46-39. They have been, dare I say Red Soxian since, going 26-10! While I’m sure most people could not name one player in their starting lineup, they are hot!
Photo: Bleacher Report
The Mariners on the other hand were 54-31, but have gone just 16-21 since.
What does this all mean? Nothing if Aaron Boone’s team reverts back to form because they are so much better than either chaser. What is painfully obvious, is that the Yanks miss Aaron Judge more than we thought, and need him back ASAFP! They must also figure out what is wrong with Misters Severino, Chapman, Sanchez, Bird, Torres, Gray, Holder, etc. in a hurry!
For those keeping track, and I know there are a few of you out there, the Yankees begin a West Coast trip on Monday, September 2. They will play three games in Oakland, followed by three in Seattle. The question I have is will they mean anything by then?
And that my friends is My 2 Sense.
Feature Photo: 99percentinvisible.org